Wilted Lettuce with Bacon and Onion Recipe
- ¼ pound bacon (about 4 slices), chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¾ pound (about 6 cups) hearty lettuce or salad greens, such as romaine, escarole, or arugula, roughly chopped
- ½ lemon
- Cooked white or brown rice, for serving
Total time: 25 minutes
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until just crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel–lined plate; return skillet to heat.
Add onion, ½ tsp. salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add lettuce and remaining ½ tsp. salt and cook, tossing, until wilted, about 1 minute for romaine or 2 to 4 minutes for escarole or arugula.
Transfer wilted lettuce and onion to a large platter, top with bacon, and squeeze lemon over top. Serve immediately, spooned over rice.