This recipe is one of Judith Jones' meals for one.
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar , preferably balsamic
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Leftover cooked chicken , cut into small chunks (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp. vinaigrette
- 1 small rib celery , chopped
- 1 small scallion , finely chopped
- 1/4 bell pepper (orange, red, green, or a combination), chopped
- 1 tsp. drained capers
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley and 1/2 tsp. other fresh herbs if on hand (tarragon, basil, or marjoram)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. plain whole milk yogurt
- Salad greens (about 2 cups)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped toasted walnuts
To make salad: Toss chicken in a bowl with vinaigrette and let stand 5 minutes or so. Mix in celery, scallion, bell pepper, capers, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place mayonnaise in a small bowl and stir in yogurt, then fold into bowl with chicken mixture. Arrange greens on a plate and add chicken salad; sprinkle walnuts on top.
Adapted from The Pleasures of Cooking for One, by Judith Jones, copyright © 2009, with permission from the publisher, Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc.