Penne Alla Vodka
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne
- 2 cups Rocco's How Low Can You Go Low-Fat Marinara Sauce (page 206) , or store-bought low-fat marinara
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 container (7 ounces) 2 percent Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp. grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
While the pasta is cooking, bring the marinara sauce and crushed red pepper to a simmer in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat.Cook the sauce, stirring it occasionally with a heat- resistant rubber spatula, until it is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove the sauté pan from the heat.
Stir about 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce into the yogurt until smooth (this tempers it and prevents the yogurt from curdling). Then whisk the yogurt mixture back into the marinara sauce.
In a large serving bowl, toss the sauce with the drained penne and the basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the cheese on top, and serve.
After: 4.8g fat, 320 calories
18g protein, 55g carbohydrates, 11mg cholesterol, 6g fiber, 416mg sodium
Whole-wheat pasta has a dense texture that makes it a little tougher than regular pasta. Some people like that chewiness; some don't. If you're in the latter category, overcook it a bit. Toward the end of the cooking time, keep testing it until it's as tender as you like it.