Jools' Favorite Saturday Afternoon Pasta
"If you're going to make this, treat yourself and buy some good-quality tuna—it really makes all the difference," he says. "And if you can find any fennel tops, they're great stirred in with the tomatoes."
- Olive oil
- 1 red onion , peeled and finely chopped
- 1 to 2 fresh red chilies , deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 level teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bunch fresh basil , leaves picked, stalks chopped
- 2 cans (14 ounces) good-quality plum tomatoes
- 2 cans (10 ounces) good-quality tuna in olive oil, drained and flaked
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound, 2-ounce good-quality rigatoni or to 2 lemons , zest and juice
- Small handful freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Meanwhile, cook the rigatoni in a pan of salted boiling water according to the pack instructions. When al dente, drain the pasta in a colander, reserving some of the cooking water.
Toss the pasta into the tuna and tomato sauce with the roughly torn basil leaves, a glug of olive oil, the lemon zest and juice and Parmesan, and mix together well. Loosen the pasta with a little of the reserved cooking water if needed. Check the seasoning and serve immediately.
Recipes taken from Cook with Jamie, published by Hyperion. Copyright © Jamie Oliver 2006. www.jamieoliver.com