Garden Tuna Checkerboard Sandwich Recipe
- 2 cans (each 6 oz) tuna packed in water, drained
- 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (1-inch-thick slices)
- 2 slices white bread (1-inch-thick slices)
- 1⁄2 cup mixed salad greens (arugula, Boston and Bibb or spring mix lettuces work well)
- 1⁄3 cup alfalfa sprouts, optional
In a medium bowl, combine tuna, vinegar, oil, lemon juice and pepper.
Place whole wheat and white bread slices on a work surface. Spread tuna equally over half of the bread slices. Top equally with lettuce and sprouts, if using. Cover whole wheat and white with remaining bread slices.
Cut each sandwich into 4 squares and arrange in a checkerboard pattern.
From 400 Best Sandwich Recipes: Ideas for Every Meal and Occasion by Alison Lewis © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.