- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 large or 5 baby fennel bulbs , tough bottoms and stalks removed
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 McIntosh apples , cored, seeded, and cut into quarters
- 3 slices bacon , cooked crisp and crumbled
Cut fennel bulbs in half. Using a mandoline or a knife, thinly slice fennel, celery and apples. Add dressing and salt and pepper to taste. Add bacon just before serving to keep crisp. Serve on chilled plates.
Recommended substitution: For a meatless salad, substitute 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese for the bacon.