- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 1 large egg
- 3 3/4 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter , softened
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts , optional
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts until fluffy. On a lightly floured surface, press or roll the dough into a rectangle, about 17"x14". Spread the filling evenly to all edges, leaving a 1/2-inch border along one of the long edges of the dough. Roll up the filling-covered dough, starting with the side opposite the edge with the border. When almost finished rolling, slightly dampen the uncovered edge with water; crimp firmly to seal. (Roll will stretch to 22"x3".) Using a serrated knife, cut crosswise into 12 thick slices.
Preheat the oven to 325°. Line a large jellyroll pan with parchment paper. Transfer the buns to the pan, spacing evenly. Cover lightly with a towel and let stand 30 to 45 minutes, until buns are slightly puffed (not doubled). Bake 25 minutes or until golden.
In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Remove buns from the oven and allow to cool just 5 minutes, then frost.