- 6-8 very ripe heirloom tomatoes, in a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. sugar
- 2 green onions, including tender green parts, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 2 tsp. minced fresh oregano, or to taste
- Balsamic vinegar
- Sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 3-5 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Country-style bread for serving
Slice the tomatoes, capturing their juices. Layer the tomatoes on a platter, sprinkling them with the sugar, salt to taste, green onions, garlic (if using), oregano, and the captured juices as you arrange them.
Drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar and sherry vinegar and then drizzle generously with olive oil. Let stand at room temperature until ready to serve, up to 2 hours. Serve accompanied with the bread for sopping up the juices.
From Williams-Sonoma Salad of the Day: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year (Weldon Owen) by Georgeanne Brennan.
More Salad Recipes