- Zest 2 lemons
- 1/2 lemon , juiced
- 1 1/2 oranges , zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup or 1/4 cup maple and 1/4 cup honey
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups organic rolled oats
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup raw sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried coconut
- 1/4 cup whole flaxseed
- 1 cup dried fruit (optional)
Stir zest, juice, extra virgin olive oil, syrup, egg whites and vanilla together in a medium-sized bowl.
In a large bowl, mix the oats, 1/2 the nuts, 1/2 the sunflower seeds, all the sesame seeds and the coconut. Stir in syrup mixture.
Spread thinly on two cookie sheets covered in parchment paper or tinfoil for easy cleanup. Bake for 15 minutes, then stir granola on trays with a wooden spoon. Continue to bake for 7 more minutes or until golden brown.
Remove and cool. Stir in remaining nuts, flaxseed and optional dried fruit.
When completely cooled, store in airtight containers and enjoy for up to a month, or keep in freezer for up to 6 months.
From the book Mom-a-licious: Fresh, Fast, Family Food for the Hot Mama in You! by Domenica Catelli