- 4 (6-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves , chopped (from 4 sprigs)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3/4 cup chicken stock or broth
- 3 tablespoons (super-heaping) good quality Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons (super-heaping) sour cream
Whisk in the sour cream and continue to cook until slightly thickened, about 2 more minutes. Serve the sauce over the chicken and accompany with a simple salad and something to sop up the sauce, like couscous or bread.
Chicken No. 14,753—Deviled Divan
- 2 10-ounce boxes frozen broccoli spears
- A few pieces of lemon peel
- 2 tsp. hot sauce
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese such as Emmentaler
Cook the broccoli in boiling water in a shallow pan with the lemon peel. Cook to just heat through—you want the broccoli spears to retain their bright color. Drain well.
Preheat the broiler.
Prepare the chicken and sauce as directed in the master recipe, adding the hot sauce to the finished sauce (to "devil" it). Place the cooked chicken breasts and broccoli in a shallow casserole and top with the deviled sauce and the cheese. Broil until the cheese is brown and bubbly. Serve with crusty bread.
Chicken No. 14,7547—Chicken Bustard (in Basil-Mustard Sauce)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 rounded spoonfuls good quality prepared pesto sauce
- 15 to 20 fresh basil leaves, chopped or torn
Prepare the chicken and sauce as in the master recipe. Once you have turned the chicken in the pan and it is starting to cook on the second side, scoot the chicken over slightly and make a little room for the onions and garlic. Cook for 6 minutes, occasionally stirring the onions and garlic. Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan, leaving the onions and garlic behind. Proceed with the sauce according to the master recipe.
Add the pesto and chopped basil to the fully prepared sauce and remove from the heat. Serve the sauce over the chicken.
From Rachael Ray's book Rachael Ray 365: No Repeats