Roasted Pumpkin and Sage Pasta Recipe
Makes 4 servings
- 4 cups peeled and seeded pumpkin, cut into 1 cubes (about 1 pound)
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 pound wide pasta noodles (or use lasagna noodles, broken into 3 to 4 pieces)
- 1 cup diced pancetta (about 1/3 pound)
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, toss together pumpkin, sugar, oil, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1 tsp. salt; transfer to a large, parchment-paper-lined baking sheet and roast, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden brown, about 35 minutes.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add noodles, and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Reserve 11/2 cups of the hot pasta water, then drain pasta.
Meanwhile, cook pancetta in a large, deep skillet over medium heat until deep golden brown and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Add sage and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat, then add pasta, 1 cup reserved hot pasta water, Parmesan, egg yolks, and remaining 1/4 tsp. pepper. Toss well to coat pasta with cheese and egg. Gently fold in reserved pumpkin and sprinkle with nutmeg. Add more salt and reserved pasta water, if needed. Garnish with hazelnuts, if using, and more cheese.