Love, Food and Healthy Aphrodisiacs
Certain herbs and spices are known for their tonic effect on the sexual organs and their ability to boost libido.
- Ginseng is said to boost the production of the male sex hormone, testosterone, which influences sex drive in both males and females. (The ovaries produce small amount of testosterone, but in significantly smaller amounts than in males.)
- The Chinese herb dong quai is like the female ginseng and is said to have a balancing effect on the female hormonal system and promote sexual vitality.
- Ginkgo biloba, a remedy most commonly used to enhance memory and concentration, improves circulation throughout the body. It can also boost libido by bringing more circulation to the sexual organs.
- Fenugreek seeds and damiana are two well-known herbs for stimulating sexual vitality. Fenugreek is a spice commonly used in Indian cooking and is an ingredient in many curries. It can be simmered in some hot water to make a tea, as can damiana.
- Warming spices like cumin and chili powder can boost libido by warming up the body, including the sexual organs and increasing desire.