Fennel, Watercress and Orange Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice , reserved from cutting orange segments
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large bunches watercress , stemmed, washed and dried (about 3 cups packed leaves)
Cut the fennel in half lengthwise and cut out the hard core. Slice the fennel crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the fennel slices and cook, without stirring, until the undersides are lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and cook until the fennel is crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a dish and cool.
To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the lemon and orange juices in a medium owl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Combine the fennel, orange segments and 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette in a medium bowl. Toss gently and season with salt and pepper. Toss the watercress with the remaining vinaigrette and season to taste with salt and pepper. Place equal amounts of the watercress on 4 plates and top with the fennel-orange mixture. Serve immediately.