Endive, Radicchio, and Orange Salad with Mint Vinaigrette
Reprinted from Mediterranean Fresh: A Compendium of One-Plate Salad Meals and Mix-and-Match Dressings by Joyce Goldstein. Copyright © 2008 by Joyce Goldstein. With the permission of the publisher, W.W. Norton & Company, Inc.
This recipe is from O's Thanksgiving menu.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups olive oil
- 3 small heads Belgian endive red or white
- 2 medium or 3 small heads radicchio
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves plus 1/4 cup slivered mint for garnish (optional)
- 3/4 cup mint vinaigrette
- 3 blood or navel oranges peeled, pithed, and seeds removed, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
To make salad: Remove root ends from endive and separate leaves. Cut radicchio heads in half and pull apart leaves. Wash and dry. Toss endive, radicchio, and mint leaves with vinaigrette. Distribute among 6 salad plates. Top with orange slices. Sprinkle with slivered mint if desired. Serve immediately.