Optimize Time With Your Doctor
In order to make sure your doctor completely understands your problems, make sure you prepare for your ER or primary care doctor visit by preparing a list of questions, symptoms, medications and allergies.
You can ask questions like:
- How's my overall health?
- Are you concerned about any aspect of my health? Which aspect and why?
- Are there any tests I should have based on my age or risk factors?
- What can go wrong during these tests? Is there a place you would recommend getting these tests (i.e. mammogram, stress test, sleep study, etc.)?
- Any recommendations about lifestyle modifications (such as exercising, quitting smoking or diet changes)?
- Can you draw me a picture or show me what's wrong?
- Is there more than one disease or condition that could be causing my symptoms?
- What caused the disease or condition?
- What is the short-term and long-term prognosis for my disease or condition?
- Will I need to see a specialist?
- Do I need to take precautions to avoid infecting others?
- Are you going to recommend a surgical procedure? If so, what?
Next: The dangerous mistake most people make