- 2 whole heads garlic
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt , plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper , plus more to taste
- 1/2 loaf unsliced whole wheat bread , cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , plus more for drizzling
- 1 large onion , chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 carrots , peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch coins
- 2 stalks celery , cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) white beans , drained, rinsed and drained again
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
In a large bowl, combine half the roasted garlic with 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and pepper. Add bread and toss until well coated. Place bread on a baking sheet and bake 20 minutes, turning once or twice, until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
To make soup: In a large saucepan, heat butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add broth and remaining half of garlic and bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook 20 minutes, until carrots are very tender. Add drained beans and rosemary; cook 10 more minutes. With an immersion blender or in a food processor fitted with knife blade, puree half the soup until smooth. Stir to combine. Serve in bowls topped with croutons and drizzled with remaining olive oil.