This recipe comes from the delicious Miami Beach Party Menu created by one of the most exciting Latin chefs working today.
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions , coarsely chopped
- 1 medium carrot , coarsely chopped
- 2 leeks , white and light green parts only, coarsely chopped
- 2 whole heads garlic , unpeeled, halved crosswise
- 1 medium parsnip , peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium turnip , peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 rib celery , coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley , leaves only
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large tomato , cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary
Arrange a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl then strain broth through sieve, pressing on the solids to remove as much liquid as possible; discard solids. Cool broth quickly by arranging the bowl inside a larger bowl filled with ice water. Stir often until cool, then transfer to airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Alternately, freeze the cooled broth for up to 2 months.
Adapted from Michy's restaurant and Cuisine à Latina by Michelle Bernstein. Copyright © 2008 (with permission from Houghton Mifflin).