- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes , peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 8 ounces light cream cheese , cut into pieces, at room temperature
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough lightly salted water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return to the pot.
Mash the potatoes until chunky with a hand-help electric mixer. Add the cream cheese, 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese, milk, butter, salt and pepper to taset and mix until smooth. Stir in the chives. Spread evenly in the baking dish and top with the remaining 3/4 cup of cheddar.
Bake until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.
(The casserole can be prepared, without the cheese topping, up to 1 day ahead, covered, and refrigerated. If chilled, add the cheese topping and bake until heated through, about 45 minutes.)