3 Updo Hairstyles Based on the Classic Bun
Photo: Carmelo Donato
1. Spritz damp hair with a volumizing spray from roots to ends.
2. Add texture to straight hair by wrapping half-inch pieces around a small-barrel curling iron (Remington T Studio Thermaluxe Curling Wand, $35). (If your hair doesn't hold curls well, try smaller sections.) For wavy hair, twist random half-inch pieces around a large-barrel curling iron to enhance your natural texture.
3. Gather hair into a low pony just above the neck and secure with a coated or bungee elastic. "Don't worry about flyaways or loose strands,” Quintero says. "That adds to the disheveled glamour.”
4. Wrap the ponytail around its base and secure it with hairpins between the bun and the hair at the back of the head.
5. Loosen pieces from the bun and the hair around your face for a soft, wispy look.
6. Mist all over with hairspray (try Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil UV Protective Dry Oil Finishing Spray, $34).