5 Items That Should Never Be on Your To-Do List
What Your Current List Probably Looks Like:
• Upload vacation pics from cameraCut It: Unless it's going to bring you joy to sift through tons of blurry, off-center images to find the gems, ask another family member to do it.
• Reschedule coffee with AngelaCut It: If this is a meeting you've been putting off, ask yourself: "Do I really want to hang out with Angela?" Any plans that are tinged with guilt can't be on this list. And if it involves one of those friends who drain you because all they do is vent, just say no.
• Remind Jackie not to forget Mom's birthdayCut It: If Jackie is your sister and you know she's perfectly capable of remembering this on her own but chooses not to, don't make it your problem. It's not your job to compensate for other people's deficits.
• Check that last month's AmEx bill was paidChange It: A lot of the things that end up on our to-do lists are driven by worry. Looking for ways to automate tasks that seem to keep popping up will eliminate so much stress. In this case, sign up for automatic bill pay on your bank's website.
• Get groceries for dinner partyCut It: The question we always ask ourselves is "How much can I do?" But the smarter question is "How little can I do without cheating?" When you're already overloaded, opt for a potluck. Learning to throw a party with minimal effort is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself.
Next: What your to-do list should look like