3 No-Equipment Workouts You Can Do Anywhere
Illustration: David Wyffels
1. Get into a wide stance with your hands on your hips. Your toes should be facing slightly outward.
2. Simultaneously raise your heels off the floor as your lower down into a squat. Get your thighs as close to parallel with the floor as you can.
3. Lower your heels to the floor as you push up out of the squat. Do 15 reps.
Reverse Crossover Lunges
1. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your hands on your hips.
2. Step your right leg back and behind your left leg into a curtsy lunge.
3. Push into your left heel as you come out of the lunge and return to starting position. Do 15 reps on each leg.
1. Get into a push-up position on your toes.
2. As you lower your chest down, lift your right foot off the floor, bend your knee and bring your knee out to the side and toward your right shoulder. Return your right leg to the starting position as you come up from the push-up.
3. On the next push-up, do the same thing with your left leg. Continue alternating legs as you do 20 push-ups.
1. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Balancing on your right leg, bend at the waist and reach your left hand down to your right foot as you extend your left leg straight out behind you. Make sure both hips are facing down toward the floor during the movement.
2. Return to the starting position. That’s one rep. Perform 15 repetitions on each leg.
1. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Take a large step forward with your right foot, lowering down into a lunge and forming right angles with both knees.
2. Spring upward, launching both feet off the floor, and switch positions with your legs so your left foot is in front and your right leg is behind. Land softly on the balls of your feet, knees slightly bent, and lower down into another lunge.
3. Continue alternating between legs, doing 15 reps on each.
Plank with Hip Abduction
1. Get into a plank position on your hands or forearms.
2. Keeping your back flat, core tight and making sure you’re not letting your butt sag down or lift up, lift your left foot off the ground and move your left leg out to the side. Keep your foot flexed.
3. Return to starting position. Do 15 reps on each side.
Plank with Side Lateral to Front Raise
1. Start in a plank position on your hands.
2. As you keep your hips as level and still as possible, raise your right arm out to the side until it's parallel with the floor, then raise it out in front of you until it's parallel with the floor.
3. Bring your right hand back to the floor. That's one rep. Do 15 with each arm.
Pendulum Lunges with Arms Overhead
1. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your arms extended overhead.
2. Step your right foot forward into a lunge, landing on your right heel. Push off that heel to come out of the lunge.
3. Bring your right leg back into a reverse lunge, moving directly from the forward lunge so your right foot never steps down in the center. Do 15 repetitions, then switch legs and do 15 more.