Get Fit Getaways
Instead, you can get a workout and enjoy all the sights by taking a hike or bike tour or by planning an active family vacation. Take Bob's Best Life advice to make sure your vacation is healthy and happy!
If you want to hike on your trip—or even try a full hiking vacation—you're going to have to do a little work before you leave. First, stop into your local outdoor outfitter; they can help you plan your hike and set you up with all the equipment you'll need. Also, you'll want to learn as much as you can about the area where you plan to hike. Go online to research a specific trail or location, or get general hiking information from sites like HikeSafe.com. Finally, it's always great to go with someone who has already hiked the trail, if at all possible.
If you're considering planning an entire hiking trip, you may want to look into these spots, some of my favorite places to hike.
- The Grand Canyon, Arizona: This is best in the fall or spring, and both the north and south rim are great.
- Yosemite National Park, California: I enjoy all hikes in all seasons.
- Zion National Park, Arizona: The "Narrows" hike is my favorite.
- Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah: You'll enjoy all the beautiful red rocks and dirt.
- The Appalachian Trail, Maine to Georgia: You can hike for months or just do a section.
- Telluride, Colorado: It's hard to recommend one trail; they're all amazing.