Spicy Shrimp with Basil
- 3 tablespoons rice wine
- 3 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound snow peas , trimmed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 medium red onions , julienned
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon ' ' sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely shredded fresh basil leaves
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring 1 1/2 quarts water to a boil. Add snow peas and cook until crisp-tender, about 1 1/2 minutes. Drain in a colander and refresh under cold water. Drain again.
To make seasoning: In a medium bowl, combine red pepper flakes, garlic, and red onions.
To make sauce: In a medium bowl, combine fish sauce, remaining 1 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce, sugar, and 1 1/2 Tablespoons water.
Heat a wok or a heavy skillet over high heat. Add 1 Tablespoons olive oil and heat until near smoking; swirl oil to coat the pan. Add shrimp and stir-fry until they change color and are just cooked, about 2 1/2 minutes. Drain shrimp; wipe out pan.
Add the remaining 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil to pan and heat until very hot, about 30 seconds. Add seasoning mixture and stir-fry until onions are tender, about 3 minutes. Stir sauce and add to pan; bring to a boil. Stir in shrimp and basil. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with steamed rice, if desired.