Salmon and Creamed Corn Chowder Recipe
- 4 slices bacon, halved
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1½ tsp. salt, divided, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided, plus more to taste
- 4 (3-ounce) boneless, skinless coho salmon fillets
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14.75-ounce) cans cream-style sweet corn
- 1 large (about ¾-pound) Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut in ½ cubes
- ⅛ to ¼ tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
DirectionsActive time: 45 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, cook bacon over medium heat until just crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Reserve fat and transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate.
Add leek, bell pepper, ½ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
Increase heat to medium-high, arrange salmon in pot, and cook, flipping once, until just cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add to the pot broth, corn, potato, cayenne, reserved leek and bell pepper, 1 tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until potato is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Turn off heat, break reserved salmon into generous flakes, and stir into soup. Add thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
To serve: Ladle soup into bowls, and crumble bacon over the top.
Freeze for up to 4 weeks.