Sausage, Corn, and Basil Millet Salad Recipe
- 6 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup millet
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- Flaky sea salt, for finishing
Total time: 35 minutes
In a large pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 tsp. oil. Add millet and toast until golden, about 5 minutes; transfer to a medium bowl and set aside. Add 2 cups chicken broth to pot and bring to a boil. Mix in toasted millet and 1 tsp. salt and cook according to package directions.
In a small bowl, combine red onion slices and vinegar. Set aside for at least 15 minutes.
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until cooked through and edges are golden, about 8 minutes, then transfer to a bowl. Deglaze skillet with remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth; scrape with a wooden spatula. Stir in corn, garlic, red pepper flakes, 1 tsp. salt, black pepper, and 2 Tbsp. oil and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes. Fold in sausage, millet, and parsley until warmed through.
In a large bowl, toss spinach, basil, and warm millet mixture. Top with pickled onions and flaky sea salt. Mix reserved pickling liquid with 1/4 cup oil; serve on the side as a dressing.