Cuban Chicken and Sausage Skewers
Photo: Marcus Nilsson
This recipe from chef Michelle Bernstein of Michy's in Miami gets its big flavor from mojo, a Cuban marinade of citrus and garlic.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ⅔ cup orange juice
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound), cut into 1½-inch chunks
- ½ pound spicy smoked sausage, such as andouille, cut into 16 chunks
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 2 zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1½ chunks
DirectionsActive time: 1 hour
Total time: 2 hours
Heat oil in a small pot over medium heat until just hot, about 1 minute. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until light golden, about 30 seconds. Remove pot from heat and add orange juice, ¼ cup cilantro, lime juice, 1 tsp. salt, cumin, pepper, and chile. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature. Divide half the mixture between 2 small bowls and reserve. Pour remaining mixture over chicken in a large bowl and toss to coat. Cover and chill at least 1 hour, or overnight.
Preheat grill to medium-high. Meanwhile, soak 8 (12-inch) wooden skewers in water 20 minutes. Drain chicken (discarding marinade) and thread onto skewers, alternating pieces with sausage, tomatoes, and zucchini. Season to taste with salt. Grill, turning occasionally and basting with one of the bowls of reserved sauce, until chicken is cooked, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter and drizzle second reserved bowl of sauce over skewers. Scatter remaining ¼ cup cilantro over the top, and serve.
More Grilling Recipes