Corn and Avocado Soup with Pickled Cucumbers Recipe
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced into thin half-moons (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (from 1 small ear corn)
- 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium bulb fennel, cored and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups), plus chopped fronds for garnish
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups corn kernels (from 3 to 4 ears corn)
- 1 1/2 tsp. chopped thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 large avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/4 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- Ground black pepper, for garnish
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
To make pickled cucumbers: In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients. Set aside.
To make soup: In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add fennel, onion, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add corn, thyme, and salt, and cook until corn is tender, 3 to 5 minutes more. Add stock, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 minute. Remove pot from heat.
Add avocado to pot. Working in batches, carefully purée soup until smooth. Return to pot and season with more salt to taste. Ladle into bowls; top with pickled cucumbers, a dollop of yogurt, fennel fronds, and pepper; and serve.