Chickpea Cakes (Falafel) Recipe
Makes 8 small cakes
For the falafel:
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in cold water and cooked in clean water for 1 hour or until tender)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp. freshly chopped parsley, coriander or mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp. plain flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp. plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 Tbsp. dried bread crumbs or polenta
- Hummus or Greek yogurt
- Mini pita bread or flatbread
- 4 lemon wedges
Put all the ingredients for the falafel except the oil in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper. Blend to a smooth paste, then divide the mixture into 8 portions. Mold each portion into a patty shape. Put the flour into a small bowl, the beaten egg into another and the bread crumbs into a third. Roll the patties in the flour, then dip them in the egg and, finally, roll them in the bread crumbs.
Heat a large frying pan. Add the oil and the coated patties and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until they are golden brown. Serve with a hummus or yogurt dip and some toasted pita or flatbread, if you wish, but they are also delicious just as they are with a little wedge of lemon.
From Cook on a Shoestring: Easy, inspiring recipes on a budget by Sophie Wright © 2013 Kyle Books.
More Quick & Cheap Recipes