Breakfast Cookies Recipe
Makes 16 cookies
- 2 cups walnuts (8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed meal
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely grated orange zest (from 1 orange)
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plain, low-fat yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups dates (8 ounces), pitted and chopped
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Preheat oven to 375°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. On a separate baking sheet, toast walnuts until golden, about 8 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, and baking soda. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar, flaxseed, zest, salt, and cinnamon until creamy. Add yogurt and egg and beat to combine. Add oat mixture and beat to combine. Fold in dates and reserved walnuts.
Mound dough in 1/4-cup scoops on prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden, switching the positions of the pans halfway through, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.