Apple-Watercress Salad with Cheddar Crisps Recipe
- 1 Tbsp. yellow mustard seeds
- 3 ounces (1 cup) shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 5½ Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 bunches watercress, trimmed of large stems and torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 (8-ounce) red apples, such as Gala, cored and thinly sliced
- 24 red grapes (about ½ pound), halved
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
Total time: 35 minutes
Preheat oven to 375°. Put mustard seeds on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 3 minutes. Pour into a shallow bowl and let cool. Mound cheddar into 12 small piles on baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake until melted and starting to darken, about 5 minutes. While still hot, use a metal spatula to transfer cheddar crisps to a large plate to cool; set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix shallot, vinegar, and mustard. Stir in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss watercress, apples, grapes, walnuts, and reserved mustard seeds. Add dressing and toss well. Divide among 4 plates, top each with 3 reserved cheddar crisps, and serve.