- Try to work problems out collaboratively.
- Value her advice.
- Respect her capabilities.
- Share more of what is going on in your life without burdening her.
- If you are feeling unappreciated, explain to your daughter how you want your relationship to change.
- Be clear in your intentions and continue to model the behavior you would like your daughter to emulate.
- Agree to disagree when resolution doesn't seem imminent to maintain communication.
- Accept that "mother doesn't always know best." Let her be.
Published on September 16, 2009