- Sustain your relationship with your adult daughter. In some ways it doesn't matter how you do it, it's just important that you do it.
- Be respectful of her schedule and lifestyle if you want to be included in her life.
- Say what you need and want. During this transition time, you can repair a broken relationship with your daughter or begin a new one.
- Let your daughter know you love her no matter what.
- Maintain your role as the mom. Mother trumps best friend every time.
Excerpted from Too Close for Comfort? Questioning the Intimacy of Today's New Mother-Daughter Relationship by Linda Perlman Gordon and Susan Morris Shaffer © 2009 by Linda Perlman Gordon and Susan Morris Shaffer. Excerpted by permission of The Berkley Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Group (USA) Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.