An Excerpt from Too Close for Comfort? Questioning the Intimacy of Today's New Mother-Daughter Relationship
- Show appreciation and affection.
- Develop a balance between letting your daughter go and being a nurturing parent of an adult daughter.
- Build trust with your daughter, and she will be more receptive to your involvement in her life.
- Respect her autonomy; this is a critical component in building trust and mutual respect.
- If your adult daughter moves back home, model the kind of mutual respect adults should have for each other. Living with an adult daughter can present opportunities and challenges in maintaining a close relationship. Basic courtesies should be expected and should go both ways. You are not running a hotel; it is your home. You should feel comfortable expressing your needs and expectations.