- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil , once around the pan in a slow stream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 shallots , minced
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (32 ounces)
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 16 ounces pasta , such as penne rigate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 20 leaves fresh basil , shredded or torn
- Crusty bread , for passing
While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked to al dente (with a bite to it). While pasta cooks, prepare your salad or other side dishes.
Stir cream into sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves. Pass pasta with crusty bread.
* For more information about Rachael Ray, visit www.rachaelrayshow.com.