Jell-O Petite Watermelons Recipe
Makes 20 fruit slices
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (3-ounce) package strawberry-flavored gelatin
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen and thawed strawberries
- 1/2 cup cold water or vodka
- 5 limes, halved, pulp scooped out and discarded, and rind halves reserved
- 1 tsp. black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or basil seeds
In a bowl, add the boiling water to the gelatin and stir until the gelatin is fully dissolved. Transfer the gelatin to a blender. Add the strawberries and cold water and blend until liquefied. Refrigerate until thickened, approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. The gelatin should be the consistency of an extremely dense pudding.
Skim off any foam that has risen to the top of the gelatin mixture and stir to evenly distribute the strawberry puree. Spoon into the lime rind halves. Refrigerate until firm, a minimum of 3 hours. The gelatin should not stick to your finger if you touch it.
Carefully halve the gelatin-filled lime rinds again. Sprinkle with the seeds and serve.
Reprinted with permission from Hello, Jell-O!: 50+ Inventive Recipes for Gelatin Treats and Jiggly Sweets. Copyright � 2012 by Victoria Belanger. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, Berkeley, CA. Photo Credit: Angie Cao.