- 1 round of Nancy's Pizza Dough (see separate recipe)
- 4 ounces Fennel Sausage, uncooked
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 1 ounce low-moisture mozzarella, cut or torn into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on an extreme bias starting at the green ends and moving toward the root ends (white and green parts) or 1⁄2 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1 Tbsp fennel pollen
Prepare and stretch the dough and preheat the oven to 500F
Roll the fennel sausage meat into two 2-ounce balls and place them on a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in an oven preheated to 500F for 6 minutes, to partially cook the sausage and render the fat. Remove the sausage from the oven and set aside to cool slightly while you prepare the pizza.
Brush the rim of the dough with the olive oil and season the entire surface with salt. Spoon the cream into the center of the dough and use the back of the spoon in a circular motion to spread it over the surface of the dough, leaving a 1-inch rim without any cream. Break each ball of sausage into 4 pieces and scatter the pieces over the pizza. Scatter the cheese, then the scallions around the sausage. Slide the pizza into the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown and crispy, 8 to 12 minutes. Remove the pizza from the oven, sprinkle it with the fennel pollen, cut it into quarters, and serve.
Excerpted from The Mozza Cookbook by Nancy Silverton with Matt Molina and Carolynn Carreno. Copyright © 2011 by Nancy Silverton. Excerpted by permission of Knopf, a division of Random House. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.