- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 bananas , sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 4 to 8 tablespoons butter
- 8 slices country-style white bread (preferably 4 to 7 days old)
- Maple syrup , optional
To make batter: In a large bowl, lightly whisk eggs and salt. Add vanilla. Pour in cream, continuing to whisk until well blended.
Melt 1 to 2 tablespoons butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Dip 2 bread slices in batter and cook each side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining bread slices.
Transfer 2 bread slices to individual plates and top with banana slices and sauce. Serve with maple syrup, if desired.