- Vanilla Buttercream frosting
- Pink and black food coloring
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows (about 4 ounces), each cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut (about 5 ounces)
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- Chocolate Buttercream
- Yellow and light blue food coloring
Tint 1/4 cup buttercream pink and 1/4 cup black. Lightly frost cupcakes with uncolored buttercream. Use remainder to pipe heads and ears: starting in the center of cupcake pipe a pear-shaped head using a pastry bag fitted with just a coupler; increase pressure as you pull back. Pipe ears on both sides using a #352 Ateco leaf tip.
Pipe black eyes and pale-pink mouth and nose onto narrow end of head using a #2 Ateco plain tip.
Place three marshmallow halves on each sheep head, cut side down. Then, working from the base of the head out, continue to cover the cupcake with halved marshmallows, cut sides down.
Assemble Nesting Baby Bluebirds
Before adding chocolate to buttercream frosting, set aside 1 1/2 cups buttercream frosting and 1 teaspoon melted chocolate.
Heat oven to 350°. Spread coconut on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until light brown, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating pan once. Set aside to cool.
Lightly frost cupcakes with 1 cup chocolate buttercream; set aside. Tint 2 tablespoons reserved buttercream pale yellow; place in pastry bag fitted with a #349 Ateco leaf tip; set aside. Tint remaining buttercream light blue; place in pastry bag fitted with a #11 Ateco plain round tip, and pipe three blue bird heads, 3/4 inch in diameter, onto each cupcake. Using leaf tip, pipe yellow beaks. With toothpick, add melted-chocolate eyes. Form each nest with 2 tablespoons of toasted coconut.
Tools You'll Need
- Cupcake Kit (KMC001) $48.00
- Complete Gel Color Set (KGF015) $36.00
- Piping Set (CFT006) $18.00
All available from Martha By Mail, 800-950-7130 or www.marthabymail.com
- #352 leaf tip 85 cents each
- #2 plain tip 70 cents each
- couplers (#622145) 69 cents each
- Food gel or paste assorted colors $2.65 to $3.00 each
- 12-inch piping bag (#32352) $2.59 each
Available from: Sweet Celebrations
P.O. Box 34926
Edina, MN 55439
800 328 6722