Thank a Local Law Enforcement Officer
TAKE ACTION TODAY
- When you see law enforcement officers in uniform, walk up and thank them for the job they do in keeping you and your community safe.
- Pull your car to your right and out of the way when you hear a siren or see a police car approaching with its lights on.
- Organize your friends, co-workers, neighborhood, or child's classroom to create and deliver a thank-you card to your local law enforcement agency, police station, or town sheriff.
- Organize your family or a group of friends to go with you.
- Donate to law enforcement benefits and causes.
- Support or start a Neighborhood Watch program in your community.
- Always report crime.
- Over 699,000 sworn officers and almost 318,000 civilian officers protect and serve the citizens of the U.S.
- Over 14 million arrests occur annually for all offenses, except traffic violations.
- Each year:
- Over 59,000 officers are assaulted while performing their duties.
- Over 57 are killed—their average age is 37.
- Over 23 million people are victimized by violent and property crimes.
- There has been a 58% decline in violent crimes and 52% decline in property crimes over the last 12 years.