Ideas to Get You Started
Use these ideas to inspire you as you brainstorm ways to Pay It Forward. Remember, every little bit helps, so whether you buy someone lunch or buy them a car, you are changing lives!$0 – $25
It's amazing what a few dollars can do. These ideas won't weigh on your wallet, but will make a huge difference for someone else.
- Anonymously pay for gas for strangers
- Buy lunch for a homeless person
- Randomly give away a prepaid transit card for a couple of trips on a bus or train
- Volunteer—it costs nothing but means a lot.
- Buy flowers to cheer up a co-worker
- Write letters to troops serving in Iraq
- Clean up a neighborhood park
- Buy a board game for a local children's hospital
$100 – $200
Have a little more to spend? There are a lot of ways to change the world.
- Invite women living in a shelter to a spa day or treat them to a makeover
- Buy school supplies for a needy school
- Buy coats and hand them out to the homeless
- Buy pet food and supplies for the animals at the pound
- Search your local newspaper for stories about people in need and find a way to help them
- Pick up the tab for a family at a restaurant
- Buy theater tickets for parents with a newborn—then babysit!
- Buy food and prepare meals for the elderly in your neighborhood
$1,000 & over
Thinking big? You've seen what $1,000 can do—now it's your turn.
- Buy instruments for a needy school's music class
- Travel to New Orleans and go help build a Habitat home
- Pay for a string quartet to give a concert at a local nursing home
- Donate iPods for soldiers serving in Iraq
- Take a terminally sick friend on a weekend getaway
- Buy a new wardrobe for kids in need
- Help rebuild a home destroyed by a fire
- Make a family's holidays a little brighter by buying all their holiday gifts