Choose Canvas Bags
TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Buy several canvas shopping bags or use duffle bags that you already own. Most trips to the store require more than one bag.
- Purchase canvas bags that are made from recycled materials.
- Keep your canvas bags in the trunk of your car—trips to the store are often spontaneous.
- When purchasing only one or two items and you don't have a canvas bag, just carry the items out of the store without a bag.
- If you forget your canvas bag, at least avoid double-bagging.
- Almost 7 billion paper bags and over 380 billion plastic bags, sacks, and wraps are used every year in the U.S. alone.
- 90% of all grocery bags are plastic.
- The likely average length of time a high-density plastic bag will exist on earth is 1,000 years.
- Producing and recycling paper bags generates significantly more air and water pollution compared to plastic bags.
- Paper is 33% of all waste.
- The average family accumulates 60 plastic bags every 4 trips to the grocery store.
- San Francisco, the first city in the U.S. to ban the use of plastic grocery bags, eliminates the use of 100 million plastic bags a year.