If you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship, Lisa recommends documenting the abuse. "If somebody's hurting you or raping you, you need to keep a journal and keep it in a safe place," she says.

Also, if someone rapes you—whether it's your husband or boyfriend—Lisa says you should go to the hospital within 48 hours and request a rape kit. "There are trained nurses, sexual assault nurse examiners. They know how to do evidence collection," she says. "[If you go to trial,] you need to have the documentation from the hospital."

Even if the victim is not ready to press charges, Lisa suggests they fill out a police report and find a safe place to go.

"Every time, a perpetrator is going to say, 'She wanted it.' They use a consent defense, and they need to show you did not consent," she says. "You have a right to say no."

Find out how to create an escape plan.

To find help in your area, call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-SAFE.

How to help someone you suspect is being abused