Here's a sophisticated way to store everything from magazines to your kids' toys.
- Wood storage totes, $60 for three
- Crate & Barrel; 800-967-6697; crateandbarrel.com
Crowder Designs of North Carolina searches the world for fabulous antique finials and tiebacks, then reproduces them by hand in a patina that retains all the character of the original.
- Finials and tiebacks with gold-leaf finish, $90 and
- Crowder Designs; 866-FINIALS; crowderdesigns.com
Speak To Me
Wonderful with a Walkman, unobtrusive on a desk—we have seen the future, and it is brimming with music from a pair of lightweight cardboard speakers.
- Speakers, $20 per pair
- Muji; mujionline.com
Connect the Dots
Graphic, basic, and very inviting, these 100 percent cotton towels are
three good reasons to draw yourself a bubble bath.Bath towel, $32
Bath mat, $26
Hand towel, $22
Terence Conran Shop; 866-755-9079; www.conran.com
Everything Is Illuminated
This chunky orange glass drum lamp with a cream- and chocolate- striped shade casts a gorgeous, warm glow and transforms a simple end table into a focal point.
- Lamp, $325
- Stray Dog; 866-4STRAYS; straydogimports.com
Beginning to Sea the Light
The beach motif makes these vases ideal for a house at the shore. Landlocked? Then use them to create an island getaway without ever leaving the city.
- Vases, $500 for the 18-inch, $260 for the 9-inch
- M at Mercer; 212-966-2830
Ever see a toddler eat? These plastic mats are practical under a high chair, pretty in entranceway, and perfect on a porch.
- Washable floor mats, $36 for a 4' x 6', $50 for a 6'
- Koko Company; 888-873-5656
Old newspapers aren't an eyesore anymore when you stash them in this sleek acrylic rack.
- Magazine rack, $50
- Umbra; 800-387-5122; umbra.com
A Glowing Report
Add one decoupaged glass votive holder to each place setting, pour a good Chablis, and the conversation will take care of itself.
- Votive holders, $25 each
- John Derian Company; 212-677-3917; johnderian.com
Light the Way
Fashion meets philanthropy with Ithemba lights. Christian Lacroix and Vivienne Westwood are just two of the designers who dream up these fanciful bulbs, crafted by South African women with HIV/AIDS. A portion of the proceeds goes toward education and treatment.
- Bulbs, $30 each
- Intérieurs; 212-343-0800; www.interieurs.com