Warm Skillet Salad with Roasted Apples and Sweet Potato Recipe
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" wedges
- 2 Tbsp. plus 2 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Asian sesame oil
- 2 tsp. minced ginger
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. minced onion
- 2 large Granny Smith apples (1 pound), cored and cut into wedges
- 1 large (8-ounce) red apple, such as Honeycrisp, cored and cut into wedges
- 5 cups (2 1/2 ounces) packed baby arugula
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) roasted sliced almonds
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Preheat oven to 400°. In a small saucepan over high heat, cover rice by 1" with water, add ¼ tsp. salt, and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring a few times, until tender, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large cast-iron skillet or a medium roasting pan, toss sweet potato wedges with 1 tsp. vegetable oil, spread out evenly, and season with remaining salt. Bake for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, cinnamon, sugar, pepper, sesame oil, ginger, soy sauce, lemon juice, and onion.
Push sweet potato wedges to one side of skillet and add apple wedges to the other. Drizzle with remaining 1 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil and spread out wedges evenly. Place skillet in oven and bake until apples are lightly browned on bottom and tender, about 7 minutes. Toss sweet potato and apples with 2 tsp. dressing.
Drain rice and add to skillet along with arugula, almonds, and remaining dressing. Toss well. Divide among 4 plates and serve.