Mixed-Mushroom Po'Boys Recipe
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 4 (6") baguettes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 3 Tbsp. minced chives
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, quartered
- 3/4 pound small white button mushrooms, halved
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 4 romaine leaves, sliced
- 1 cup small watercress sprigs
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, mix butter with garlic. Put baguettes on a baking sheet, cut sides up. Butter insides of bread and bake until very lightly toasted, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, lemon zest and juice, cayenne, chives, and ½ tsp. each salt and pepper.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 Tbsp. oil. Add both types of mushrooms; season with remaining ½ tsp. salt and pepper; cover; and cook, stirring a few times, until tender, about 12 minutes. Add paprika and 2 Tbsp. water and stir well. Cover and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ½ Tbsp. oil.
Spread mayonnaise mixture on insides of bread. On bottom baguette halves, layer romaine, watercress, mushrooms, and tomatoes; cover with top baguette halves; and serve.
Good to Know: To keep white mushrooms from darkening and to add a tangy zing, slice or dice them, then toss in lemon juice before cooking.