Portobello Mushrooms and Radicchio over Polenta Recipe
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, halved and thickly sliced (1/4") crosswise
- 1 tsp. plus a pinch of kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) head radicchio, cored and sliced into 1"-wide strips
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 4 scallions, cut into 1" lengths
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup mushroom or beef broth
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 Tbsp. coarsely chopped Italian parsley
Active time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 Tbsp. oil. Add mushrooms; season with ½ tsp. salt and pepper; cover; and cook, stirring a few times, until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a medium bowl. To skillet, add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil and radicchio. Add pinch of salt and stir well. Cover and cook until radicchio begins to caramelize, about 4 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and stir well. Return mushrooms to skillet, along with scallions and garlic, and cook 2 minutes. Add broth, cover, and remove from heat.
In a large saucepan, bring 5 cups water to a boil. Stir in polenta and cook over medium heat, whisking until thickened and starting to pull away from sides of pan, about 5 minutes. Season with remaining ½ tsp. salt. Stir in 2 Tbsp. butter and Parmesan.
Swirl in remaining 1 Tbsp. butter. Divide polenta among 4 plates. Top with mushroom mixture, garnish with parsley, and serve.