Mexican Black-Bean Ball Recipe
Photo: Jason Wyche
These cilantro-coated spheres could also be called "Everything That's Great About a Burrito in Cheese-Ball Form."Serves 12 to 15
- 2 cups shredded, extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp. minced red onion
- 3/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. coarse salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Crackers or pita chips, for serving
Using a stand mixer or a bowl and a spatula, mix together the cheddar, beans, cream cheese, onion, 2 tablespoons cilantro (reserve the rest for coating the cheese ball), cumin, salt and cayenne, if using, until combined. Form the mixture into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Before serving, coat the cheese ball in the remaining cilantro.
Serve with crackers or pita chips.
Excerpted from Great Balls of Cheese, © 2013 Michelle Buffardi. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.