Kale with Onions and Pine Nuts Recipe
Photo: Coral Von Zumwalt
Fresh lemon juice adds zing to sautéed kale.
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 1½ Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions (about ¾ pound total), cut into thin wedges
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale (about 1½ pounds total), stems removed, leaves chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
DirectionsTotal time: 30 minutes
Heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes; set aside.
In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown and tender, 12 to 14 minutes. Add kale, lemon juice, and ¼ cup water and toss gently. Cover and cook until just wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from heat, add reserved pine nuts, red pepper flakes, and salt. Toss well and serve.
More Recipes from Michael Pollan