Kale Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Sausage Recipe
Serves 6 to 8
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4" cubes
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¾ pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- ¾ pound spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- ½ cup chopped carrots (about 1 large)
- ½ cup chopped celery (about 1 stalk)
- ½ cup chopped Vidalia onion
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- Ground black pepper
- 12 to 14 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Hungarian hot paprika
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups white hominy (frozen or drained from can)
- 2 bunches kale (about 1½ pounds), ribs removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can cannellini beans, liquid included
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
Active time: 35 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
In a large pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. When butter begins to brown, add sweet potatoes in 1 layer and sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Cook without moving until a peek under 1 cube reveals a golden brown color around the edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip sweet potatoes and cook until other side is golden brown, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate and refrigerate, covered, until ready to finish soup.
Wipe out pan, then add oil and sausage and cook on medium-high heat. With a wooden spoon, break sausage into chunks and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a large heavy-bottomed pot.
In the same pan over medium-high heat, add carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes, and ½ tsp. each salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice. When tomato skins begin to blister, gently tap them with a spoon to flatten. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and transfer to the large pot with the sausage.
Place pot over low heat, and to sausage and vegetables add thyme, paprika, garlic, hominy, kale, beans, and chicken stock. Stir to combine, then add water just to cover (if needed). Cover and cook until kale is tender and sausage is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Add reserved sweet potatoes to pot, and stir to reheat potatoes. Serve warm.
More Soup Recipes