Chickpea Plov Recipe
Photo: Leah Lizarondo
In the former Soviet republics and Russia, plov is known as a hearty one-pot rice dish. This version, from the blog The Brazen Kitchen, omits the lamb and relies on chickpeas for protein, making it a perfect vegetarian entree.
Serves 8 to 10
- A few tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 onions, diced
- 5 or 6 carrots thinly sliced or coarsely grated
- 2 cups prepared chickpeas (either soaked for 24 hours or cooked)
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth
- Sea salt to taste
- 3 cups uncooked rice
- 1 tsp, peppercorns, 2 Tbsp. coriander seeds and 2 Tbsp. cumin seeds, ground together (optional)
- 1 head of garlic per person, top trimmed
- Handful of chopped almonds
- Hot chili peppers (optional)
Coat the bottom of a large pot with oil.
Sauté onions until they start to brown. Add spices, if using. Add carrots and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes.
Add chickpeas and water or broth with sea salt to taste. As soon as the water starts boiling, add rice, along with garlic if using, and let cook for 20 minutes or until done.
Top with chopped almonds and pepper (if using). Serve in bowls, giving each person a head of the cooked garlic.